The vital part of your computer is the Central Processing Unit or the CPU. CPU is responsible for the operation of the computer system. It processes all the software application demands. As per the power required to process various applications by the computer, the CPU tends to heat up. The CPU thus needs to be cooled down; the heat in the CPU is dissipated by the CPU fan. The speed of the fan has to be adjusted rightly so that the noise and the cooling of the computer are balanced. You can adjust the speed of the CPU fan if you know how to adjust CPU fan speed. If the fan speed is not set right, the CPU will heat up more. It might damage the parts of the CPU and the computer. To avoid the cost of repairing the entire system, it is better that you keep the speed of the CPU fan at proper levels. For this, you do not need a computer mechanic.
The speed of the CPU fan can be adjusted using the SpeedFan free application, or else configure the CPU’s BIOS settings manually.
These two different methods can be used to adjust the speed of the fan of the CPU. To help you with it, go through the details given about each of the methods below.
Method: 1 BIOS setting
How to adjust CPU fan speed using the BIOS setting?
- To change the BIOS settings, you need to restart your computer. For this, choose the ‘Start’ option , followed by ‘Shut Down’ and then ‘Restart’. When your computer will restart, you get an option to enter the computer’s BIOS settings. Press that particular key. For example, a message will be displayed on your screen saying ‘Press F8 to enter BIOS’. Accordingly press the F8 key.
- When you enter the computer’s BIOS Menu, scroll through the various options using the arrow key. When the arrow key points the option of ‘Configuration Settings’ or ‘System Setup’, press ‘Enter’. Under this option, you will get the option of configuration of ‘ CPU fan speed’.
- Then you will be directed about the instruction as to which key should be pressed next to adjust the speed of the fan. Usually, you need to press “-” or “+” keys to choose from the fan speed options given and hit the ‘Save & Exit’ option after selecting the fan speed. Hit the ‘Enter’ key .
- After this, you exit from the computer’s BIOS settings and your computer finishes the rest of the ‘booting process’.
BIOS setting is very simple, as you just need to hit the right key that is displayed on your screen. Keep choosing the right option and the right key to complete the fan speed adjustment of the CPU.
Method: 2 SpeedFan
How to adjust CPU fan speed using the SpeedFan application?
- Search for the web for ‘SpeedFan’. Download this application. Menu bar of the page will provide a ‘Download tab’. Clicking on it, you will be directed to the SpeedFan’s download page. In this download section, choose the ‘SpeedFan’ option. This will download the SpeedFan application on your computer.
- After downloading you need to install this program. You will get a pop-up asking you whether you would like to install this application on your computer. Hit the ‘Yes’ option. The SpeedFan installation wizard will take you to the proceeding steps. Prior to the installation, you will have to agree to their terms and conditions. Click the ‘Finish’ option. This will start the ‘installation’ of the application on your computer.
- After the application is installed, you might need to restart your PC. Again, this would be displayed on your screen. Restart the computer to complete the installation process.
- Go to the ‘Start’ menu, choose ‘Programs’ and then ‘SpeedFan’ program from the program list. This will open the SpeedFan program.
- The main screen of the program will give you an option of ‘Configure’. Click this option and you will be directed to the main page of ‘Configuration window’.
- In this window, choose option ‘Advanced Tabs’. Under this menu, choose the option of ‘Fan Speeds’. In this, you will get the different levels of speed for the CPU fan. Using the ‘up’ and ‘down’ arrow key, choose the speed as per the requirement. Hit ‘Save’ and this will adjust the speed of the fan as per your selection.
These two simple methods help you adjust the speed of the fan of your computer’s CPU. To choose the right speed, you can again refer to the user’s manual or check it on Google. You can enter the model number of your CPU, and search the right speed at which the fan has to be set. The adjustment remains more or less same for laptops as well.