You get a nice job, but it is a 24X7 job environment, and you have never worked in a night shift before; you must therefore know how to adjust to night shift. It becomes necessary to adjust your body to work in nightshifts. You need to get used to staying awake at night, and adjust your body and lifestyle accordingly. In the initial days of the job, you might find it difficult. It might also lead to health issues like nausea, giddiness, stress and digestion problems. Below are some simple tips that will help you adjust to nightshifts.
How to adjust to night shifts?
- You need to get adjusted to staying awake at nights. If you have some time before joining the job, you can utilize this to get yourself adjusted to it. A week before the job, try staying awake at night and sleep during the day.
- Avoid rotating shifts. Switching again and again from day shift to night shift and vice versa will make it difficult for your body to adjust.
- Do not consume sleeping pills, or resort to any such measures to sleep during the day. This will help you sleep, but will not help you to adjust your body to the new routine.
- It will be difficult for you to sleep during the day time, as there will be sunlight, noise, people moving around the house, etc. You need to get adjusted to all this. For this, you can stuff cotton in your ears to avoid any disturbances and use an eye band to cover your eyes. This will help you to get adjusted to sleeping during daytime.
- Besides, you can use dark colored curtains in your room. This will help you to create night like darkness during daytime.
- Set a proper schedule for yourself. A proper time to have your breakfast, meals and a fixed time to go to bed. If your shift starts at 11 pm and ends at 7 am in the morning, try getting adjusted according to this shift time.
- Do not forget to set the alarm clock so that you wake up on time. If you want a sound sleep, you should sleep without any thoughts in your mind. If you are worried about waking up on time, you won’t be able to sleep well. Also, it is important that you wake up when your alarm rings. Try getting used to it.
- A few minutes of meditation before going to sleep will help you relax and calm your mind.
- A nap of 15-20 minutes before work will help you stay awake through out the night.
- Besides adjusting your body to this routine, you need to know that your eating habits will change. However, continue taking similar amounts of calories as you always do, and opt for healthy food to avoid any health issues.
A little effort and you will get used to night shifts and be able to perform well.