How to administer a subcutaneous injection is quite an easy procedure. The subcutaneous injections are provided by the majority of doctors as a medication for fertility treatments. Therefore, it is highly essential to know how to administer a subcutaneous injection. In certain situations, it is highly essential to provide the person a subcutaneous injection with a hypodermic needle.
Subcutaneous Injection: Generally, a subcutaneous injection is provided in the fatty layered tissues that are just beneath the skin. These medications or injections are mainly administered to patients as there would be little blood flow to the fatty tissue and also because the medication will be assimilated or absorbed gradually in the body and that too, within 24 hours.
A subcutaneous injection is also known as a subQ injection. This medication is a kind of shot that is given into the layer, which is in between the skin and the muscle tissues. A subcutaneous injection comprises of a syringe with a specified medication along with it, and an attached needle. This needle is inserted into the skin as well as into the subcutaneous muscular tissues. The medication is injected into the subcutaneous muscular tissue by pressing the syringe plunger. Later on, the subcutaneous injection is removed when this easy procedural medication is finished.
Purpose of Subcutaneous Injection: The main purpose behind the subcutaneous injection is to inject a specified amount of medication in the fatty tissue that is just placed beneath the skin. Generally, the preferable region is the lower belly or abdomen, which is an inch away from the belly button. However, this medication can also be given in the front portion as well as in the center portion of the thigh. This medication is prescribed for fertility treatments and so, the subcutaneous injection should not be given on the same portion and that too, every time as it could lead to irritation of the tissues and pain.
Required Necessities for How to Administer a Subcutaneous Injection: Administering a subcutaneous injection is extremely easy, provided it is carried out in a specified manner. Therefore, to carry out this medication procedure properly you must get a hold on certain required necessities. The required necessities for administering the subcutaneous injection are as follows:
- Needle or injection for injecting the medicine and the size should be around 0.5 cc, 1.0 cc or 2 cc and 5/8 inch long
- Prescribed dosage of medication
- Alcohol wipe
- Gauze pad for swabbing or for wiping
- Medical trash box for disposing the injected needles
Procedure of How to Administer a Subcutaneous Injection: When you are prescribed for a subcutaneous injection then you must be well aware about the procedure of injecting the medication. You must be well aware about the specified dosage of medication along with the right kind of medicine to be given. This kind of medication requires a hypodermic needle and therefore, knowing the exact procedure of injecting medication is highly important. Basically, the length of the subcutaneous injection used decides the distance, which should be injected into the muscular tissues that is just present beneath the skin layer of the human body.
- Assemble or gather all the necessary supplies, which you will require during the medication procedure. The essential supplies that are to be gathered are the 5/8 inch long needle, 3 cc luer lock syringe, 0.3 mL insulin syringes for minor medication, medication log, sterile 2 x 2 inch gauze pad, alcohol pads along with your prepared and mixed medication.
- In addition, verify the expiry date as well as the specified dosage of the medication that is to be injected.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with water and soap. After that lay down the napkin on the clean surface and start preparing or mixing the medication drugs. Arrange all the medication supplies on the napkin in a sequential way.
- Now use the fresh alcohol wipe so as to wipe the injection site smoothly. Make sure that you clean the injection site in a spiral motion. Later on, leave that portion to dry on its own.
- Verify and then select the injection site. Later on, take a big pinch of skin in order to take out the fatty tissue away from the muscle beneath it.
- Understand that the arm section has a thinner layer of skin as compared to the thigh or buttocks and therefore, think about the needle before injecting the medication.
- Identify the type of medication that has been given and this will help you in guiding the pressure of the syringe plunger as well as the quantity of dosage to be injected in the body.
- Now carefully measure the quantity of the dosage that is to be administered. Now pull back the plunger on the syringe and fill it with the air as per the required dosage. Insert the needle and depress the plunger into the medication vial. Pull it back gently until you have drawn in a specified quantity of dosage.
- Hold the syringe and push the injection gently and smoothly into the layer of the skin. Insert the needle into the skin at a 45 or 90 degree angle. Now slowly inject the medication in to the skin and pinch the skin prior to the administering of the medication.
- Let loose the pinch of skin and smoothly remove the needle after the medicine has been administered.
- Wipe the injected portion with a sterile 2 x 2 gauze pad and make sure that the bleeding has stopped and place a band-aid.
- Throw the needle into the medical trash bin after the medication procedure is fully complete.