Cooking is a very famous process for preparing food with the help of heat. Cooks choose and combine ingredients with a variety of methods and tools. In this process, the texture, flavor, appearance and the chemical properties of all the ingredients change. The cooking ingredients and techniques are different all over the world. The cooking methods reflect the unique economic, environmental and cultural traditions. Cooks also keep on varying their training and skills. Making food with fire or heat is a unique activity for human beings, and many scientists believe that the advent of cooking played a major role in human evolution.
Mostly all the ingredients in cooking are derived from living things. Grains, fruits, vegetables and nuts come from the plants, and eggs, meat and dairy products come from the animals. Yeast, which is used in baking and mushroom, are types of fungi. Cooks also use minerals like salt and water for cooking. Sometimes cooks also use wine, and alcohol based liquid for cooking. The naturally occurring ingredients contain many molecules like fats, proteins and carbohydrates. They also have minerals and water. Cooking often involves a manipulation of the chemical properties of all these molecules.
Learning to cook is a very easy process, if you know the right way. Here are some easy steps on how to cook.
- Look for some easy recipes in cookery books. You can also ask your friends and relatives for some recipes. Gather all the ingredients and tools required for this recipe. Get all the right ingredients with the right amount.
- The process of getting all the ingredients and tools is called ‘mise en place’ by the professional chefs. You must have all the required ingredients. Clean the food before cooking it, just rinse it under the water. Foods that are supposed to be peeled should be washed before peeling.
- Cut the food into uniform pieces or slices so they cook evenly. There are many varieties of cutting techniques like slicing, chopping, dicing, julienning, cubing etc. The larger the pieces, the longer they will take to cook.
- Add pepper, salt herbs or marinade as the recipe says. The herbs are used to increase the flavor of food you are cooking. Always add herbs and spices before or after cooking the food.
- Heat the pan or boil water if required by the recipe. Add the ingredients step by step as mentioned in the recipe book. You might require to sauté, fry or boil. Always pay attention to the pan, make sure that the food is not overcooked.
- Once you are done with cooking, write down your own recipe in a detailed format. As you get better, you can start experimenting with your own dishes. Always keep your cooking skills sharp by experimenting with a variety of ingredients and techniques.
Tips and Warnings:
- Look for a cooking class in your locality or watch cookery shows to get a better idea.
- Start with simpler recipes. Do not try anything that is complicated in your first attempt. Take your own time to learn dishes.
- Do not worry if you mess up a particular dish. Mistakes happen, learn from them. For cooking, you just need good judgment.
Try to stay in the kitchen, when the cooking is in progress. If you go away, then you might end up burning the food.