We human beings are responsible for doing each and every task with a lot of dexterity, being born as the most superior creatures on the earth from all the other creatures. But then how many of us actually realize this fact and actually do that in reality. In fact the attitude, or rather to call it as tendency, of a majority of the people is they desire to lead a life of ease and in all its comforts, without actually attempting to pay all for it, as far as the exertion of efforts is concerned. A vast majority of the people want to lead a life, wherein there is minimum of efforts spent and a maximum of money or resources or wealth accumulated. It is as a result of this unfortunate attitude or tendency of such people that the modern day world has had to bear through the constant havoc of recession. However, despite all of these menace, many people are yet to learn how to be diligent at their workplaces. The irony of the matter is that a majority of the employees or workers are of this nature and it is simply not possible to check out one by one as to who all are of this nature and who all are not. The underlying factor is that a good work culture has to be made to flourish in offices throughout and people should be made to realize or understand that cheating with their work can only do more harm than good as well as is detrimental for the organization as a whole as well as for the growth of all connected. But despite all of this, if one still wishes to fool one’s boss or employer by giving them the impression that one is striving really hard at one’s work with the obvious intention of getting that much desired elusive promotion and/ or hike or raise, here we are laying down before you methods for discovering how to fool your boss, without the latter finding out the truth ever.
- Act as if you are striving really hard at your tasks ‒ It is a well known and proven fact that mostly people who are striving really hard at their work appear stressed out at most times. It is also essential for one to act exhausted, drink lots of coffee as well as occasionally toss papers. It is also important for you to make other colleagues of yours hear your sighs or yells at the printer when it is not working and complain that you are in a hurry, however, left with no more capacity or energy to carry on with other work by massaging the temples of the forehead.
- Adopt the habit of using fancy industry jargon more often than others ‒ It is not essential to be actually aware of the meaning behind all that one speaks . The only thing that matters is to appear as if one actually is aware of the meaning behind the usage of all fancy industry jargon. It actually pays to learn some nonsense fancy sounding industry words each week and all are bound to think that one is aware of the meaning behind all this flowery language, which makes one appear really smart, and smart people generally work harder than other people. It is a fool-proof method to know how to fool your boss by appearing super smart.
- Agree with other people in meetings ‒ In fact one good way of giving an impression of working hard at one’s tasks to other people and especially one’s boss is to be more visible, especially in the meetings. It goes a long way by agreeing to other colleagues and voicing out one’s agreement loudly, especially in meetings by saying ‘Uh-huh,’ ‘I like that idea’ and so on. It is not advisable for employees wanting to cast an impression on one’s boss to be quiet or silent, especially in the meetings without saying anything at all. In fact, it does not go anywhere by acquiring all of the information and listening carefully to all that has been said by other employees and sit quietly or silently in meetings. It is important to make oneself heard, as said, especially in the meetings. In fact, it pays to appear as if one is really engaged or involved in the process of the entire session of the meeting. Agreeing to other people’s opinions goes a long way by stating obvious things; however, care needs to be taken that it is not debated by any other colleague of yours.
- Always leave after all have left the office ‒ Even though, it appears to be the opposite of what has been said so far, that is to say, to not do any work at all, it is not necessary to be engaged in only productive work after all have left the office. However, even without being engaged in any productive task, one can cast one of the best impressions on the boss by leaving last in the office, if one is wishing for a hike or promotion in one’s job. One can simply spend these hours by calling other people up and idling their time, playing on Facebook or some other social networking sites, reading a magazine and the like. One can also make the most of this time casting a best impression on the boss by sending obligatory mails.
- Convert the desk into a place of war ‒ In order to cast the best impression on one’s boss one needs to make the entire desk appear as if it is an area where some war had just broken out, that is to say, make stuff as binders, folders, notebooks, printouts and so on lie all over on the desk. The best way is probably to place some excel spreadsheets above all which gives the impression to other colleagues that one is working really hard at one’s tasks. It is bound to give an impression on other people and especially one’s boss that one is diligent at work.
- Carry either a Binder, a Folder or a Laptop wherever you go, especially during office hours ‒ It can be that one is going for downloading the latest version of the Hunger Games book, but if in case one can appear as if going for a meeting or to some other office for getting some work done, chances of being spotted by one’s boss and accordingly expecting a hike or a promotion are all the more. Even going through the documents as one goes through the hall for making a call adds on to one’s chances of getting a hike or a promotion.
- Make a list of all the things that you are currently working on ‒ Many companies conduct meetings in order to report the status of all the employees to each other, that is to say, the kind of work one is being engaged in. If one is desiring a hike or a promotion, it is essential to not only announce the most important of all projects or what all have changed or improved after the last meeting,but each and every single thing that one is engaged in. It is further essential to even let the other people know that you had e-mailed so and so and are awaiting a follow-up. The list for announcing in the status meeting needs to be of many pages.
- Outsource all of the work to the colleagues ‒ At one point of time or the other, work needs to be actually done, no matter how much one can discover how to fool your boss. For that, however, one need not panic or worry because another solution to this is your colleagues can be asked to do a majority of the tasks by buying them a candy bowl, drinks, lunch and the like; basically one needs to to do everything required for making them like one, so that when asked to do some work on your behalf, they cannot refuse to do. It also needs to be borne in mind that all credit for the tasks can be taken, provided at times, they also are credited.
- Schedule for meetings frequently ‒ What many people or rather companies fail to realize is that arranging frequent meetings does not mean that the company is developing or growing. In fact, holding too many meetings mean that at that particular point of time, no work is being done due to the obvious fact that it is beyond the reach of any common man to be engaged in some task while at the same time being present in a meeting. Hence, till the boss comes to realize that many meetings are a sheer waste of time, it is best advised for one wanting to find out how to fool your boss to schedule as many meetings as one can.
- Send e-mails at odd hours ‒ It is best advised to send off e-mails at night just before going to bed, if you are trying to discover ways to fool you boss. In fact, the e-mail can be as simple as casually going through a document and merely writing in the subject of the e-mail, ‘good to go.’ In fact, it is also advisable to CC or send a copy of it to a higher authority, apart from one’s immediate boss, so that, even they are aware of how sincere you are about your work. If in case, the office makes use of Outlook, one can also delay the delivery feature for sending e-mails at even 5.30 a.m. or on Sunday afternoons.
But all said and done, one can only hope or wish that all of these cheating tactics at one’s workplace does not work in most of the companies, or else productivity can suffer to an unimaginable extent. In some of the organizations, it can work for a few days; in fact, it can work for a longer duration of time than expected. However, one can only hope that it does not work in most of the organizations. In good companies, there is no fooling around and one’s work speaks for them. Besides, if one needs to climb up high in the ladder of professional growth, it is all the more required that they have to pull up their socks or else become a failure. The only good thing with the knowledge of all of these methods to fool one’s boss is that if there are colleagues of yours in the office, who are upto all of these, then you can report the same to a higher authority.