Condensed milk is used to make cakes, sweets and add rich flavor to many delicacies. Besides, condensed milk is also used to make caramel. Caramel made from condensed milk tastes much better than the normal caramel that we make from sugar. Wondering how to make caramel from condensed milk? It is very simple. Within few minutes, you can make delicious caramel from condensed milk.
This caramel can be used as jam, topping on ice cream, pastries, sweets, etc. it is also known as caramel milk spread. You do not need many ingredients for this and it is not a lengthy procedure. Here are the steps to make caramel from condensed milk:
- Condensed milk – 1 can
There are many methods of making a caramel from condensed milk. Follow the method you find convenient.
- Get a can of condensed milk. You can either get condensed milk from market or you can use the one you make at home. (To learn how to make condensed milk at home read the instructions given later in the article.)
- Take a non-stick pan and pour the can of condensed milk in it.
- Turn on the gas and let it boil on low heat. While boiling, stir it continuously so that it does not burn.
- When you can turn a spoon in it completely without the mixture falling from the spoon, turn the gas off.
This is one method. Some people avoid this method, as it needs continuous stirring to save the caramel from burning. They opt for the other method instead given below:
- Take a pan and pour water in it. Turn the gas on.
- Immerse the condensed milk can with its lid closed tightly in the water. The water should be so much that 3/4th of the can is in water. Do not immerse it in water completely.
- Leave the can in the water for around two hours and turn the gas on low flame.
- Keep checking the water in the pan. Refill the pan once the water level reduces. Do not let the level of water reduce or dry out.
- After two hours, turn the gas off. Get the can out from water.
- Let the can cool down completely. DO not try to open the can when it is hot.
- After cooling down, you will get thick caramel that you can use to enrich your dishes.
In this way, you can make caramel from condensed milk. As mentioned above, you can either use homemade condensed milk or get it from market. To make condensed milk at home, you need sugar, milk powder, margarine, vanilla essence and boiling water. Blend all these ingredients using a blender to get a thick lustrous mixture. Store this mixture in a sterilized jar in the refrigerator.
Besides caramel you can also make caramel icing from condensed milk. You just need a few ingredients for this.
- Brown Sugar 2 ½ cup
- Condensed milk 1 can
- Butter ½ cup
- Whole milk ¾ cup
- Vanilla 1 tsp
- Mix the condensed milk and sugar first in a pan, and cook it on low flame. Let the sugar melt.
- In another vessel, mix vanilla and milk, heat the mixture on low flame for 2 minutes.
- Now add the butter mixture, in the sugar and condensed milk mixture. Mix it well.
- Let the caramel icing cool down. Serve when it is chilled.
Caramel and caramel sauce can be used to add flavor to a normal dish. Caramel sauce can be used as icing. It gives delicious flavor to your cake. Try out these recipes and charm your friends and loved ones.