Condensed milk or sweetened condensed milk is a milk product. It is actually milk itself in a very thick form. Milk is boiled for long until the water evaporates and then sugar is added to it. This thick sweet mixture can be canned and preserved for long, and will not contaminate for a year or two. Once you open the can, you have to use it within 2-3 days or else unopened without refrigeration, it can last long. Usually people do not prefer to buy condensed milk unless it is needed. You can thus learn how to make condensed milk, so that you can make it whenever you need it. Learning how to make sweetened condensed milk or condensed milk is not a tough job. It is very easy.
Besides sweetened, unsweetened condensed milk was available previously, but it used to spoil easily. Thus, only sweetened condensed milk is used now. It is used to make cakes, sweets, added in tea and coffee instead of milk, to add flavor to coffee, toppings on ice creams, used instead of butter on toast etc. In Scotland, it is mixed with butter and sugar and baked to form a candy. Condensed milk has many uses. You can make it yourself following the steps given below.
Recipe - Condensed Milk /Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Milk or milk powder – 2 cups (low fat or full cream as you wish)
- Margarine or butter – 2 oz
- Sugar – 2 cups (granulated or powder)
- Vanilla essence (optional) – 3 to 4 drops
- Boiling water – 3/4th to 1 cup
- In a bowl, mix milk and margarine.
- Blend this using an electric blender. Once the mixture becomes smooth, add sugar.
- Again, blend it well using the blender. Next step, add boiling water. Do not add full water at once. Add water little by little, and stir it with the blender while the blender is off. This will prevent lumps from forming in the mixture.
- Once the water is added, blend it well, and while blending, add few drops of vanilla essence.
- Blend it thoroughly, so that there are no lumps formed, and it becomes a smooth flowing mixture. This completes the procedure of making the condensed milk.
Alternatively, you can mix all the ingredients together and blend it to make condensed milk, but blending it in steps will give you better results. It mixes the ingredients well and gives you a smooth and lustrous mixture.
Storing the Condensed milk:
- Condensed milk needs to be stored properly so that it lasts long. You need to use sterile tight lid jars to store it.
- Use a clean, dry jar with a tight lid.
- Once the condensed milk cools down in room temperature, pour it in the jar.
- Close the jar lid tightly, and you can store it either in refrigerator or outside the refrigerator. However, if you keep it in refrigerator once, you cannot keep it outside.
- Also, once you open this jar after storing it, you will have to use it as soon as possible.
- Storing in refrigerator is advisable because it will not spoil the condensed milk with the change in temperature.
Thus, you can make condensed milk in very less time and with utmost ease. You can use it to make sweets and delicacies and treat the taste buds of your friends and family.
Tips and warnings:
- Plastic jars are preferable. Do not store it in a glass jar as you cannot refrigerate glass jars.
- Use fresh milk or milk powder, because you need to store the condensed milk.
- If you use liquid milk, boil it for almost ½ an hour so that the water in it dries completely, and it becomes thick.