Pollution refers to any contamination in the ecosystem, which tends to causes undesirable changes within the ecosystem, as a result of which all organisms are affected through the food chain. Pollution is caused due to specific human activities, which are not suitable for the environment – a problem which most countries have started addressing of late. While the issue aggravates as we speak, one can easily prevent pollution by following basic steps which ensures our contribution in the restoration of our planet. We cannot simply rely upon the governing bodies or private organizations to take corrective actions against pollution. As co-sharers of the land we walk on, we all are equally responsible for ensuring ecological balance, and one must realize that a collective revolution is only possible if we, as individuals take responsibility of our thoughts and actions.
While human activities continue to cause air, water, soil, sound, and ocean pollution, lack of adequate knowledge or awareness regarding this issue still poses as a constraint to restoring our planet back to healthy condition. On the other hand, increased amounts of greenhouse gases are being released unto the air, which is gradually taking form of a death code, on its way to completion. While corporations and awareness campaigns are spreading the message, and instigating individuals to take up responsibilities, and make way for a collective evolution.
How to prevent water pollution
- Release of harmful chemical into rivers or seas by the industries and certain house hold activities, needs to be brought to the forefront
- Never wash off any synthetic products into the water, and dumping garbage into water bodies should not only be reduced, but needs to be stopped completely
- Ensure proper sewage treatment, and the treated wastes that are generally released from the factories into the rivers and lakes, should be reused by these industries; this will help reduce few cycles
- Plant water hyacinths in rivers and lakes within your reach, this will help prevent the water from getting polluted by metallic pollutants
- Recycle inorganic as well as organic wastes, so that they can be transformed and reused as various products
- Avoid making use of synthetic fertilizers in the farm. These chemicals get washed away with rain water, and pollute nearby water bodies. Make use of natural fertilizers made from recycling wastes.
Preventing air pollution
Air pollution is caused due to release of harmful pollutants such as carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, nitrous oxide, methane, sulfur dioxide and many other gases, which constitute the greenhouse effect. The release of gaseous pollutants in air causes significant imbalance in the ecosystem, and has resulted in a substantial rise in Earth’s surface temperature. While minimizing the level of smoke from vehicles and household activities is what the corporations stress upon, governing bodies seem to be waiting for some “right time” to implement preventive measures to control industrial emissions. Following are few steps that you can take in order to help prevent pollution.
- Do not burn your garbage, dispose it in garbage bins, thus ensuring proper treatment
- Use alternative pollution free sources of fossil fuels. Renewable sources such as solar energy, and the use of windmills for generating energy should be preferred over burning wood, coal, and fossil fuels
- Plant trees by the sides of the road and encourage your friends and colleagues to join your cause. Trees help in absorbing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, and purifies the air surrounding them
- Proper maintenance of vehicles is very important. Look for advanced smoke controlling devices in the market, and upgrade your vehicles to ensure that they don’t emit large amounts of soot
- Limit the use of electricity, air conditioners, water heaters, and coolers; they emit gases that heat the atmosphere
- Use a small amount of ethanol in petrol for your vehicles, this reduces the emission of harmful gases in the atmosphere
Air pollution in the major cause of depletion of protective layer Ozone, which keeps us from potentially harmful ultraviolet radiations.
How to prevent sound pollution:
- Keep the volume of your television and music systems low
- Horns are provided in your vehicles for emergency purposes, so use them sparingly and only when absolutely necessary. Some people may be under the delusion that honking horns instigates the other person to drive faster, thus paving way for you to reach your destination faster. Continuous honking of horns affects our senses, and eventually cause a dimming effect.
- Loudspeakers need to be handled with care, so that those who are in close proximity will not get affected
- Check that your vehicles do not emit excessive sound. Upgrade them with sound controlling devices.
How to prevent soil pollution:
- Do not use harmful chemicals for fertilizers, as they enter the food chain, and thus affect the entire ecological system
- Use of organic manure should be preferred over those that are synthetic
- Avoid spraying pesticides on the crops, this is one of the the major causes of chemical infestation
- DDT is the most harmful pesticide used in farms. Although the use of DDT has been banned in many countries, there are still some farmers who use it
- Avoid throwing plastic and non-degradable wastes anywhere but trash bins, so that they undergo recycling. Also, these materials gain access into the soil, and since these wastes don’t decompose for years, they eventually cause infertility
Besides the steps mentioned above, we can take extra efforts in preventing pollution, such as restrict the use of products without which we can survive, such as hair dryers, make up products, jewelry, decorative items etc, and maybe make it a habit to deny marketing brochures that are circulated. Whatever we use results in depletion of resources, and we need to understand that we can indeed use these resources more efficiently. For example, instead of using gold, silver, platinum, titanium, and gemstones for jewelry, the nation can use them for trade, which will in turn reduce the amount of paper required for currency production. Now, since we cannot expect for such a change to happen globally, we need to take measures that will at least limit the amount of such products being manufactured. We need to stop buying such products, which will in turn cause havoc for businesses, and eventually force them to lower their production rate.
Perhaps you are not aware, but enormous amounts of trees are being razed down, so as to facilitate the production of paper. And as we all know, most of the paper in circulation are used for cigarettes, currency, stationary, and marketing. Now, marketing being an extra element of a business, where the only aim is to promote the brand or boost the business, we can certainly raise a voice against the use of paper for marketing or advertising. In the age of digital advancement, we need to use resources optimally, and thus aid our planet’s restoration.