Split ends give the hair a feathered look by splitting the hair longitudinally. Usually split ends occur when the cuticle of the hair is damaged and the inner layer of the hair is exposed to the elements that can damage the hair. This article on how to prevent split ends will help you follow some useful tips to prevent hair from splitting.
Cuticle of the hair is the outer, thin, protective layer of the hair that gets damaged if proper care of the hair is not taken and causes split ends. These split ends, when they occur, are impossible to cure and it is very difficult to treat them also. Cutting the hair down in length is the only method that can treat split ends.
Here are few simple and easy to do tricks that can prevent split ends.
- Most of the times we brush hair when it is wet, it is supposed to be one of the major causes of split ends. Hair at this time is more vulnerable and develops split ends easily.
- Dry your hair properly before you brush them. Use natural methods for drying. Excess use of dryers can damage the hair cuticle and split them at the ends.
- Excessive exposure to sun can make the hair dry and break them. Do not expose your hair to sun. Wear a hat while going out when it is sunny or apply hair lotion that will protect your hair from sun damage.
- Use a hair brush that has soft bristles. These soft bristles should be even and wide-toothed. Hair brushes with nylon bristles should be avoided.
- Avoid combing tangled hair harshly. This breaks the hair causing split ends.
- Minimize the use of straightening irons, curling irons, crimpers and hot curls. These will deprive your hair of natural oils which makes the hair dry and breaks them at the ends.
- Whenever you decide to shampoo your hair, massage your hair properly with warm oil before. Oil should be applied one hour prior to the shampoo or a day before. This will help the hair follicles become stronger and provide them necessary oil so that they become stronger from within.
- Use a shampoo that lists sunscreen in its ingredients. These shampoos will protect your hair from sun damage.
- Whenever you shampoo your hair it is necessary that you condition them using a proper conditioner. If your hair is deprived of the conditioner, the hair becomes dull and breaks easily. Sometimes applying a deep conditioner once in a week will also be very helpful for your hair.
- Excessive washing and excessive conditioning will also damage your hair, so avoid doing this.
- Avoid the use of chemicals. Sometimes damage caused by these chemicals is irreparable. Gels, mousse and hair sprays should be avoided. Alcohol based hair products and shampoos make the hair dry that leads to split ends, so avoid these products.
- Take help of trichologists while choosing hair products for your hair. They study the type of your hair and suggest proper hair products accordingly.
- Even if you don’t have split ends, using the products for repair of split ends would be of no harm to your hair.
- Do not overdo hair styling. While hair styling, our hair is exposed to chemicals and hair dryers a lot. This will damage your hair causing split ends. Tying the hair too tightly will break the hair causing split ends.
- Trim off your hair every four to six weeks. This will help in removing the dry hair at the tip and promotes hair growth. Trimming the hair removes the splits which are already present and reduces the chances of developing splits at the end.
- Say no to excessive coloring of hair. Artificial hair coloring products contain a lot of harsh chemicals that can damage your hair.
- Healthy diet is very essential for making your hair healthy and split free. Your diet should include the food that is rich in proteins, because proteins are the major constituent of your hair. The type of protein present within your hair is keratin, which is present in egg in major amount. Including egg in your daily diet will strengthen your hair and prevent split ends.
- Egg yolk is a natural conditioner to your hair. Mixing this egg yolk with some amount of curd and applying it to your hair once in every two weeks will help in conditioning your hair and preventing split ends.
- Aloe vera is also helps in preventing the split ends. Massage aloe vera gel on the scalp of your hair, leave it for 10 to 15 minutes and wash it off with a good quality shampoo.
- If you have split ends, then take proper treatment from the doctor to prevent further serious damage to your hair.