In computers, some things can be annoying like a slow computer, errors messages, crashes and viruses. Generally, the computer will be functioning at a low speed if there is low disk space. There are various reasons for a low disk and when the memory of your computer is critical, the system will work very slowly. Knowing how to resolve low disk space can help speed the computer.
Computer malware and spyware tend to fill up the hard disk and then gobble the system resources. The most common symptom for slow performance is malware infection. Most of the malware programs will invite other malware programs in your computer. This is unusual that an infected PC has hundreds of various spyware programs in the computer, so you can consider this possibility.
Before you start checking for spyware and viruses, you will have to free a bit of disk space so that you can run the scans easily. You must have done the general steps for cleanup many times, so now you will have to do some extra work to clean the disk. Here are some simple steps on how to resolve low disk space.
- External hard drive
Steps for resolving disk space in C drive:
- You will have to connect an external drive on your computer. If you have a lot of data, then external drive is the best option, especially for the audio and video files in the ‘C:’ drive of your computer. If you have only a few text files, then this can be rescued by a thumb drive. When you plug in the external drive, you will get an option on screen that is ‘autoplay’; select the ‘open folder to view files’ for opening the drive.
- Now click on the ‘start’ menu, go in the ‘my computer’ option and double click on the ‘local disk (C:)’ for opening it. All the folders that you have stored in ‘C:’ will be displayed on the drive window.
- Now move through the user folders and all the temporary folders on the ‘C:’ disk. The user folders will be the ones, which will always start with ‘My’ like ‘My Pictures’. Inside the user folder, you can click on any files that you do not wish to delete. After this, you will have to delete every file from the ‘temp’ folder.
- If there are any files that you want to keep, then drag these files inside the external drive. Once you have transferred the file, click on the file inside the folder once again and delete it.
- Click on the ‘start’ menu and choose the option ‘control panel’. Now choose the ‘add/remove programs’ or on ‘uninstall a program’ link from the main folder of ‘control panel’ screen.
- Start scrolling through the list and try to find the name of any program, which you have downloaded on the computer and are not using anymore, like games. Now, right click on the program name and then click ‘uninstall’.
- Now, start running the scan feature for the anti-virus software or for a registry cleaner for removing any program files, which is still in the registry even after the program is deleted. You can start the scan program by simply clicking on one button like ‘clean’ or ‘scan’ on the main page of the program. You can download the registry from cnet.com.
Steps for resolving low disk space on hard drive
- First, you will have to switch off your computer and wait for sometime for the operating system to start. Plug the cord of the external hard drive’s USB cable in the computer’s USB port.
- Now, you will have double click on the ‘my computer’ option if you are using your PC or you will have to click on Finder if you are using MAC.
- You will have to wait for sometime until the external hard drive appears in ‘my computer’ or the ‘finder’ window of mac. This window will usually appear on the left panel of the window.
- Start looking for files that you want to save in the hard drive of your computer. There will be videos and photos and even some larger files, try to free as much space you can.
- Now, you will have all the files and folders to the external hard drive icon. Your computer will automatically start copying these files to the external hard drive.
- After you are done with this, then you can drag the folders and files from the trash of your computer or in the recycling bin. Now, you will have to empty the recycling bin or trash. For doing this you will have to click on ‘file’ and then choose empty recycling bin or trash from the feature.
Tips and Warnings:
- Always remember that you must empty the recycle bin after you have deleted the files. The files will be stored in the ‘C:’ disk until you have emptied the recycle bin.
- You will have to double check if you have transferred to the external hard drive before you empty the recycle bin. For doing this you will have to click on the external hard drive icon and then open the files to check.
Related Tags: how to resolve low disk space, how do i resolve low disk space, how to resolve low disk cleanup, how to resolve low disk space errors, how to resolve low disk space on data, how to solve local disc c shows low space