Have we all not shuddered at the story of some fearful or scary character that makes a visit to people’s houses at night and scares them out of their wits. All these stories become all the more horrifying on learning that the particular character used to especially go on the hunt for either the menfolk or the womenfolk or targeted certain people. Even if we bear no resemblance to the victims of these frightful, ghastly or horrifying characters, owing to extreme fear or scare ruling us at that certain point of time, we nonetheless come to believe that we are no different from the victims and because of that even we are at a risk of being attacked by the particular dreadful character. We continue to be in the grip of such supposedly baseless fear or scare, till such time as we with our own sense of rationality or reasoning do not come to realize that all of what has been told is completely untrue and has no base or origin of its own, and is being told by people only for the sake of fun or to make other people fearful or scared or terrible. Some people in our society take delight or fun out of spreading such malicious rumors. Such people are least bothered about the consequences or outcome of such rumors among people, as well as how they can affect the people. They are only concerned about their own sense of fun. Such false or untrue stories having no real base are called as Urban Legends. Actually, an Urban Legend is a modern story of indistinct base, as well as without any evidence or facts for supporting it. It is something which makes its rounds spontaneously in a variety of forms. An Urban Legend, can be a story known by word of mouth or even a text received by email or even through fax. Almost all of these urban legends are composed of certain common characteristics, and there are certain signs for identifying them as urban legends. In fact, the internet is full of a variety of different stories of these urban legends and these are spread as well as survived for a long time through forwarding emails and website postings. It cannot be told for certain as to from where the Urban Legends come from or from which exact source, and this accounts for no two Urban Legends being alike to each other. In fact, there can be some Urban Legends that are even true, but due to the fact that they are always told as being true without any real evidence or facts for supporting them, it becomes difficult for people to believe in them. Now, if in case one is bothered with too many of these Urban Legends and is actually thinking how to spot an Urban Legend, here we are laying down before you methods for finding out the same.
- At times, messages or texts in the form of emails, fax or phone calls appear to be of an urgent sort; however, the funniest part of the story is that one has never come to know about its urgency from any other source, like newspapers, radio or television.
- By making use of a lot of capital letters, exclamations, punctuation etc., the message or the text actually appeals to have one’s emotions or feelings and experiences of the sender.
- Any message received either by email, or fax, asks or requests or urges the receiver to forward it to everyone one knows, and this is the very first trick to identify an Urban legend that it is false or a hoax without any original or real base. In fact, it can be considered as the first clue in finding out if it is an Urban Legend.
- Sometimes you get messages on the phone about some exciting offers or prizes stating that you have won a big lottery. Many people are lured with such messages and become a victim of it. In fact, one good way for knowing how to spot an Urban Legend is that it appears too good to be actually true.
- Most of such messages or texts always has something to offer for free of cost, and this is a good way to spot an Urban Legend.
- Another way of finding out how to spot an Urban Legend is to look for such phrases as “There is no catch in this,” or “This is not a hoax,” or “This is not an urban legend.” These are some of the fool-proof methods for knowing if it is an urban legend.
- The message or text one gets or receives also claims that if one does not forward it to friends or other people, something bad happens to him/her. One merely needs to delete or remove such messages or texts from his or her inbox for nothing is bound to happen if one deletes or removes such messages or texts.
- With virus hoaxes, one common thing which has been noticed is that the message or text claims to be able to give or provide a solution to some issue, be it either computer or medical related.
- One need not click on any of the links given or provided in the message or the text. What one can do instead is to verify the authenticity of the message or text either online through Google or a hoax website or verify with the sender of the message or text.
In fact, most of all these messages or texts appear to be authentic in nature as well as can easily fool people into believing them, but one needs to be careful enough and be alert since the sender can do everything possible to convince that it is for real as well as true. One can discover how to spot an Urban Legend through the above mentioned tried and tested methods.