Slinky is a toy that consists of a helical spring that stretches and bounces up and down. You can do a number of tricks with it. The trick can be to travel down a flight of steps end-over-end as it stretches and re-forms itself with the aid of gravity and its own momentum. Sometimes, the slinky tangles and so you should know how to untangle slinky.
Slinky was invented and developed by a naval engineer named Richard James in 1940. He demonstrated the toy at Gimbels department store in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in November 1945. The toy was a hit as the whole stock of 400 units were sold in just 90 minutes. James along with his wife Betty started James Industries in Philadelphia to manufacture slinky. After some years, Betty became the president of the company. In 1998, Betty James sold the company to Poof Products.
The initial price of slinky was $1. The price of slinky has always been low, as Betty James wanted slinky to be affordable to poor people. Slinky was surely more than a toy. It is used in classroom as a teaching tool or as a radio antenna in war or in physics experiments. In 2002, Slinky became the official state toy of Pennsylvania. Also, 300 million units of slinky were sold in first 60 years.
Awards and Honors:
In 1999, the United States Postal Service released a Slinky postage stamp. Also in 2000, the Slinky was inducted into the Toy hall of fame. In 2001, Betty James received Hall of Fame from the Toy Industry Association’s. In 2003, Slinky made it to the Toy Industry Association’s “Century of Toys List”. It was to recall the 100 most memorable and most creative toys of the twentieth century.
Every child has felt the frustration of a twisted slinky. This frustration can result into a stretched out and unusable toy. You can untangle the twisted slinky. You need not feel frustrated because it is actually very easy to do. It just takes few minutes to untangle a slinky.
These steps can help you to find out that how to untangle a slinky:
- First of all, you need to place your four left-hand fingers inside one end of the slinky and place your left thumb on the top, outside of the coils.
- Then stretch it until you see the backwards coil. You can detect it usually since one coil sticks out a little further than the rest of them. The backward coil will now look like an upside-down “U”.
- Hold all coils up to the backwards coil in your left hand.
- Then hold the slinky from the other end with the help of your right thumb on the top. You have to hold through inside of the coils.
- You have to move your wrists in opposite directions. You need to keep on moving until the left thumb is on the bottom and outside of the coils.
- Now take the twisted coil and other coils in your left hand. You need to do this by holding the coil with your left thumb and fingers. Now remove your right hand.
- You need to keep on twisting the coils like this until you reach the right end of the slinky and all coils are twisting in the same direction.
Your slinky is the best companion and you are fond of playing with it in your leisure time. When your slinky tangles, you need not feel frustrated and sad. You can read this paper if want to know how to untangle slinky.