There is no sure cure for the common cold. The medical advances have taken the world far, but not that far yet. However, there are a number of ways by which you can ward off cold, and they are very easy to follow. Considering how miserable the cold is and the way they lead to raging flu, bronchitis, stopping them is sure the best way. Knowing how to ward off a cold will be helpful for you. Here are some simple steps that will help you in curing your cold.
- Body awareness
- Warm shower and neti pot
- Frequent hand washing
- Disinfectant spray
- The first thing that you will have to do for fighting cold is have body awareness. If you know your own body, then it will help you recognize if cold is coming, you have allergies or something in the air is bothering you. A cold will usually make you feel tired, sluggish, aches, headaches, runny nose and joint pains. If you notice these symptoms, it is your turn to take action. Go for a warm shower for loosening the secretions and opening the nasal passage.
- Use a neti pot for clearing your nasal passage and removing the excess mucous. Nutrition is one of the keys that will help you in fighting cold very quickly. This will be the time when you start loading your body with lean proteins, vegetables and fruits. Food is the fuel for your body especially during this time, so don’t bother about overeating. Keep eating food after every hour or two in tiny portions. Make sure that you take supplements of minerals, vitamins and medicines for curing the cold.
- Drink lots of fluids when you feel that the cold is coming. Normally, your daily intake of water should be six to eight glasses, so when you are suffering from cold you will have to double the amount of water for flushing out cold and toxins from your body. Caffeine free herbal tea, which is loaded with antioxidants will help you in soothing your throat and will act the diuretic to flush your body.
- Once the cold comes, you find it difficult to exercise, but it is necessary that you continue to exercise for maintaining your strength and boosting your immunity system. Get up, go for a brisk walk or use the treadmill for 30 minutes to exercise and keep your body strong. Exercising will help ward off the cold.
- Washing your hands frequently is imperative for fighting off a cold within two days. Any time you happen to touch your face or blow your nose, you must immediately wash your hands. This will avoid all the chances of contamination. If you want to sneeze then you must sneeze on the elbow or arm area of your body for preventing any further contamination.
- Once the cold starts brewing, rest becomes critical. Try to take short naps throughout the entire day. If you are not able to do this, try going to bed early for getting some additional rest. This will help your body to heal and avoid the cold from lingering.
- Keep repeating these steps every day. At the second day of your cold, wash all the linens, pajamas, and clothing from the day before. Throw away your toothbrush that you used during the cold and use a new clean one. Spray the entire house with disinfectant spray and open the windows and doors so that fresh air comes inside.
Tips and Warnings:
- Always pay close attention to your symptoms, so that you start warding off the cold early.
- Try having a concoction of ginger tea, because this will help the cold from developing. Always remember that vitamin C will not cure your cold, but it will surely help in preventing the horrible symptoms.
- Always remember that you must never load on sugary or starchy foods, because these things can accelerate your cold.
- If you have fever then you must seek medical attention.